Bring Your Own Device (BYOD): How Precedence can help
Since 1999, we have been assisting schools in their use of ICT, covering a wide-range of devices within those schools and also from home. With this experience in guiding schools on the best way forward with remote access to the network, we are ideally placed to help you maximise the opportunity for students to bring in their own devices:
- Allows devices to connect to a VLAN, managed through NetManager, which limits the impact on your core ICT services.
- Allows students to add/update apps, based on teacher recommendations, but prevents their devices from syncing with cloud services. This will ensure that the school maintains a suitable Internet bandwidth during the day.
- Users can access their home/shared areas through any browser and on any device thus allowing students to access their work both during the school day and at home.
- Deliver the standard school desktop to any device, on any operating system, at any time.
- Publish individual apps so tablet and mobile users don't have to run an entire desktop.
- Allow users to pick what applications they want to access. This keeps their interface consistent and removes anything they don't need to use.
BYOD Consultancy allows us to take a look at what the school is planning, discuss expectations with key members of staff and governors, look and review Acceptable Use Policies (AUP) and get an understanding of how you intend to use personal devices within school. We will then provide a report of our recommendations and draft new policies to cover ICT growth.
Resource Consultancy covers the research needed to provide the school with specific educational resources to use with traditional (core) ICT services and new mobile devices. The consultancy covers time on site working with teachers to understand the topics and subject where new interactive content would be needed.
Precedence recommends Unifi wireless access points:
- At around £170 plus VAT per managed high-power access point, it is a quick and affordable way to provide a managed wireless network.
- Unlike many competing wireless systems, the Wireless Controller can be virtualised, requiring few resources to run.
- Better still, the Wireless Controller is completely free; competive solutions often cost many thousands of pounds.
- The access points come complete with a power injector (worth in the region of £40) or, if your switches support it, you can use PoE (Power over Ethernet).
Total ICT Audit
Precedence Technologies offers auditing services to take in all aspects of your ICT and to measure the impact of new innovations, such as BYOD. We are happy to engage with you on any aspect of ICT Teaching and Learning.