Exporting users from SIMS .net
Initial set up that needs to be done once only
- Launch SIMS .net
- From the Reports menu, choose Design Report
- Click on Create to create a new report
- Choose People > Student from the list of items and click Next>>
- Click Next>> on Based on Student On "Roll"
- On "Select Data Fields", go to Basic details and choose Legal Surname and click the right-hand arrow. Then click Legal Forename and click the right-hand arrow. Legal Surname and Legal Forename should be displayed in the right-hand box. Click Next
- On "Define Filter", click New. Select "Registration > Year Group" on the expanding list. Tick "Prompt at Run time". Click OK, then Next
- On Sort page, click Next
- On effective date, click Next
- On "Define presentations", click Text. Then check that "Comma separated" is selected. Tick "Allow these settings to be changed", then click Next.
- Click "Save my report" as "Export for network"
Exporting the data
- Choose Run Report from the Reports menu
- Choose "Export for network" from Report Browse and then click Run
- Select year group and make sure other year groups are unticked
- Browse to required location (e.g. your home area on the network or a USB pen drive) and enter a filename ending in .csv
- Click OK
For Precedence to Create Users
- Save the exported .csv file to an area accessible by our engineers remotely.
- Email firstname.lastname@example.org with the subject line <school name> New Intake File Location. In the body of the text, please state the location of your CSV file. DO NOT EMAIL THE .CSV FILE DIRECTLY unless instructed to do so.
- The requests will be processed on a "first-come, first-served" basis. Therefore, the sooner the file is made available to us, the higher the priority will be. We will endeavour to create all users by the end of August.
This is a standard service of our support offering. If you need a higher priority service, then a flat fee of £25 (plus VAT) would be payable.
The CSV files from SIMS will need converting to the correct format with the
simsname command. Its syntax is:
Syntax: simsname [-s] [-f X] [-d X] <input> <output> [<password>] [<prefix>] -f = different format 0 = <prefix><initial><surname> (e.g. 00jsmith) - default 1 = <prefix><surname>_<initial> (e.g. 00smith_j) 2 = <prefix><surname><initial> (e.g. 00smithj) 3 = <prefix><initial of surname><counter> (e.g. 06s01) <counter> is a count of how many times the initial has been used 4 = <prefix><initial of surname><first name> (e.g. 00sjohn) 5 = <prefix><first name><initial of surname> (e.g. 00johns) -d = how to handle duplicates 0 = use more letters from first name - default 1 = add number at end of all but first duplicates (e.g. 00jsmith and 00jsmith2) 2 = add number at end of all duplicates (e.g. 00jsmith1 and 00jsmith2) -s = skip first line (repeat to skip more lines) -h = this message